Sinead O'Connor "Emperor's New Clothes"


The incredibly brave Sinead was an early fave in my 'take-on-the-
world' hellion days just out of high school. I loved her politics and
policies and outspokenness, and she had the musical prowess to
back it up, like other faves Jackson Brown and Bonnie Raitt.
She also has a  great versatility.

This song is a little more over-stated than her typical fare, and
granted the repetitiousness is catchy, but it's my fave for another
reason. Though there's no shortage of insightful lyrics from the
Great One, I love her take on the transparency of thieves and
liars in society.

Those in power have Big Brass Ones and no humility; that's how
they get to be the people in power! The lyric "They laugh cuz they
know they're unstoppable, not because what I said was wrong." is
one of my fave lines ever. How true it has always been that the worst
crimes take place in the light of day, with willing and fearful common
folk allowing it because group think has rendered them inane...
or cowardly.


Then of course there was Pope-Gate, and I was eternally
in Sinead's debt.

Yeah, she sure was wrong about them Catholics, ey?

History proves the just right. You go, girl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFpregq5eJ4

Comments