Cyndi Lauper; "The World is Stone"


I love Cyndi with great passion!
She is a true character and artist, with all the
requisite drama, pageantry, style, heart and truth
required for such a daunting task.

She's a multi-talented chameleon of immense
proportions who has continued to provide fans
a new energy through almost 3 decades!
I remember when "Girls Just Want To Have Fun"
hit and I demanded the record, which I immediately
brought home and tortured my parents with for
months. It became an anthem that in part helped
to save my life. Not just the words, but the spirit
and abandon given to individuality and expressiveness
was an early intro to the notion that it was okay
to be 'outside the norm.' That was a big help.

I saw her live in Tampa (Ice Palace; worst seating
EVAH!) opening with Tina Turner. Cyndi was
pregnant at the time, and she sat atop a stool--draped
like a goddess with a shaw--and played like she was
on fire. She had more energy and strength than anyone
who wasn't preggers (or who was half her age.) You
GO girl!

She has steadfeastly stood by her gay fans and
been a big part of community efforts, education,
and advocacy. She started long before it was either
profitable or popular.

I chose her version of "The World is Stone" to
show her versatility, and because it is such a unique
and haunting beauty, much like Cyndi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ywRiJWYl_U&feature=related

Comments