Sophie B. Hawkins - "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"



Another great singer whose gravelly voice and deep, funky soulfulness
just make me melt a little every time I hear her!

Imagine the love child of Janis Joplin and Melissa Etheridge, and here ya go!
This song was pretty risque and turned a lot of  heads back in the day, so,
as I was always looking for a chance to 'set it off,' I especially loved the entire
forbidden nature of it!

We were also a little hungry for gay visibility back then, and though Sophie
initially stated she wasn't a lesbian (as everyone had clocked her,) she did
eventually label herself as bi.

Like Edie Brickell, Soph is so down-to-earth mellow that the persona makes
the power of the vocals that emanate a bit surprising. It's a Flashback Thursday,
to the song that had everyone singing about lust and longing!

********************************************************

Comments